With Winter seriously making its mark down here in Sydney, it's about that time where soup becomes a powerful elixir to warm the shivering shackles of our bones. One of my favourites, that I whip up and freeze in batches, is my Easy Chicken and Vegetable Soup.
It's so simple to make and is perfect to reheat with some crusty bread on a night when you can't be bothered to cook. It's also a great way to get your vegetable fix in; fantastic for the immune system! There are a few cheats in the preparation stages to make it really easy, so all of you cooking purists, look away now!
Easy Chicken and Vegetable Soup
2 large zucchinis
2 small potatoes
1 large handful of green beans
1 small capsicum
1 small (or 1/2 large) onion
1 clove of garlic
2 litres of water
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 whole roast chicken, shredded (this the cheating bit)
1 1/2 packets of Continental Chicken Noodle Simmer Soup (this is the REALLY cheating bit)
1. Dice carrots, zucchini, potato, green beans and capsicum then set aside in a large bowl.
2. Finely chop garlic and onion and saute until soft in a tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Add all of the diced vegetables and stir together to sweat for about 2 minutes.
4. Add one litre of water and Chicken Noodle Simmer Soup. Bring to boil.
5. Turn down to simmer and add torn chicken and another litre of water.
6. Add second packet of Chicken Noodle Soup, turn to simmer.
7. Simmer for about 1-2 hours, adding hot water to create desired amount of broth.
8. Serve hot with crusty buttered bread, or ladle into portions and cool to freeze.
I choose to add in a little crushed chilli when adding the Chicken Noodle Mix just for a tiny kick, but this is dependent on tastes, it's also great without it!
And that's it, tastes absolutely delicious and very convenient for those of you who lead busy lives! Do you have any delicious meals I should try? What's your go-to winter warmer dish?
Enjoy, Sarah x